Learn more and help make your students aware of the substantial contributions that Geographic Information Science (GIS) technology is making in their communities every day during the 16th Annual Worldwide GIS Day. GIS Day is a global event where thousands of users of GIS technology open their doors to schools, businesses, and the general public to showcase real world applications of this existing technology.
During GIS Day, users of GIS will display exhibits/posters, give demonstrations, and lectures, and host a variety of events that will allow participants to see and experience firsthand GIS technology and its extensive applications and benefits.
Benefits of attending:
- Learn how 40 local entities and schools are using GIS technology.
- Foster an appreciation for learning about GIS. Local area users have plenty of hands-on activities ready to allow children to explore and learn about the various GIS technologies.
- Learn about careers in GIS.
- Have the opportunity to ask questions on how to integrate GIS technology and how local area users integrate them.
- Acquire excellent resources for the classroom
- Activities address Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills ( TEKS ) requirements.
This is a wonderful opportunity for students to experience and see successful careers in GIS and real world applications of GIS in their community in a variety of fields. The school track focuses on classes that are already using GIS or about to use GIS in the social sciences, sciences, and technology. Teachers should expect to make connections with possible mentors, as well as with local GIS data. The audience will be a mix of professionals, GIS technicians and students. You will be given examples and materials to allow more use of GIS in your classroom.